Umodzi Childcare Center
Watch a 6-minute film covering the early education in Malawi and boNGO activities.
The Model Childcare Center Umodzi-Mbame was built in 2005/2006 and started to operate in October 2006. It has been initiated by the boNGO team and developed in co-operation with the local leaders and community. For the first three years the boNGO team has lived next to the center in order to oversee and support its development.
- From 2006 to 2010 the teachers have received extensive training and supervision from boNGO and other organizations. During that time a Teachers’ Manual was developed in co-operation with the teachers, suitable to guide even inexperienced teachers.
- Since 2007 the local youths have been meeting at the Center for various group activities.
- From 2007 to 2011 the boNGO team and Umodzi teachers were providing training workshops for 11 other childcare centers.
- Since 2010 the Malawian foundation Mai Aisha Trust has been contributing towards the center’s monthly running costs.
- In 2011 a community library was set up at the Umodzi Center.
- In 2012 the teachers attended a Montessori Training at the Malawi Montessori Project and since then have been integrating in their lessons the Montessori philosophy and teaching methods.
- Since September 2012 the Umodzi Center has been in partnership with the private Montessori school Mini Me. Together they are developing a School Linking Project.
Visit the Model Center
The Umodzi Center is situated on the Chikwawa road in Juma village (T/A Somba), 15 km South off the city of Blantyre. It is on the lefthand side, between Chazunda and Mirale police station, well-marked from the main road. The teachers are used to visitors and they will be happy to show you the school.